This was the question that came up to my mind when a cacophony greeted me in a traffic jam. Honestly the following could be the answers :
- The driver is irritated of some unfinished business – mostly needs to reach office on time pending which he would be marked absent for half day, people working on commissions would have kept somebody waiting for closing a deal which would in turn earn them their fat commission and finally the business guy who would loose a deal worth a few lakhs if the appointment is skipped.
- Student has to be dropped at school/somebodies house before test begins or the event happens.
- Doctor has many patients waiting in many multispeciality hospital around the city and they are even late for their Operation theatres..
- Husbend/wife has told the other to wait at some point and not turned up in a line 2 times, this is the last and final call. (We can replay this scenario for collage kids)
- There are people running to movie theatres, trains, flights…
But all the above root causes still did not answer why they honk!! May be that is the universal way of singalling that am waiting and let me go. When vehicle is being driven, people honk for asking way but now a days they honk when the waiting at traffic singals is more than 2 minutes…
All said and done, one thing is for sure – “how ever carefull you plan your itenary, city travel ensures your programme is thrown out of gear” – thanks to rains, jams, VIP nethas etc. The lack of civic driving is the utmost important thing our mobs have ignored and paying this price i suppose!